Ecological Consultant (Experienced Ecologist)
Salary: £20 ,000 - £24,000pa
Contract: Full time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: Prockters Farm Office, West Monkton, Taunton TA2 8QN
Quantock Ecology has a new, exciting opportunity for an experienced Ecological Consultant to join our expanding team. We are looking for a motivated individual to help continue to deliver a professional, experienced and reliable service. The successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking ecological surveys, report writing, project management, providing support to other team members and live within a reasonable commuting distance to our office.This will be a fantastic opportunity for the right candidates to build on existing knowledge and skill sets, with career development opportunities. Quantock Ecology is a small family run business, which specialises in terrestrial ecology working primarily across the South West, South Wales and Southern Britain.
Duties will include:
- The undertaking or leading of ecological surveys for a range of fauna, including bats, birds, badger, great crested newts, reptiles, dormouse, water vole and otter etc.
- The undertaking or leading on habitat surveys, with the ability to differentiate main, broad and priority habitat types in the field.
- The writing/completion of scientific reports based on the surveys undertaken above.
- The production of method statements/mitigation plans.
- Keeping accurate field notes in accordance with the principles of scientific data collection, with experience in handling, recording and storing data effectively.
- Taking responsibility for staff management on mitigation projects, ensuring that there is sufficient staffing for various projects.
- Provide support to team members and seasonal ecologists.
- Recording data and tasks accurately on our project management software and understanding the commercial nature of consultancy projects.
- Work will include evening and dawn bat surveys, paid as overtime or as part of contracted hours.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a good understanding of wildlife legislation and be able to communicate this clearly to colleagues, clients and contractors.
- Have a degree within a relevant discipline.
- Be self-driven and motivated, with personal achievement goals.
- Preferably have at least two years’ experience working within an ecological consultancy.
- Hold a bat survey licence (level 2 or above preferable).
- Hold membership (or be eligible to have membership) with CIEEM or equivalent professional body.
- Hold a full UK driving licence.
- Have excellent attention to detail and communication skills.
- Have experience in GIS/QGIS and familiarity with the MS packages (word/excel/outlook etc).
- Have an understanding of how ecology fits in within the planning and construction industry.
- Take personal responsibility for their health and safety whilst at work and conduct work in a safe, professional and responsible manner.
- Experience in compiling/submitting European Protected Species Mitigation Licences.
- Registered consultant under the Bat Mitigation Class Licence system.
- Any experience acting as construction works supervising ecologist (ECoW) or delivering ecological mitigation.
- Experience in bat sound analysis software (Kaleidoscope Pro).
What we can offer:
- £20,000 – £24,000 per annum.
- Overtime paid for ‘out of hours’ bat surveys.
- Flexible working through flexi-time.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory holidays.
- Bespoke training budget.
- Company pension policy.
- Company health insurance.
To apply, please send a covering letter along with your CV to Simon Pidgeon (Director) at [email protected].
The closing date for applications is the Sunday 16th February 2020. Interviews will be held w/c 24th February. No recruitment agencies please.